Skip to main content

Just what is going on?

I've been asked a few times now: "Phil, just what is going on?"

Well here it is in a nutshell. An absolute non-runner (me) is taking on some running events for charity (long ones).

To be a bit clearer, I despise running long distances - and in this context long means any further than the length of a rugby pitch. The furthest I have ever run in one go without stopping is 5 km while finishing a 10 km.

Kate is in the middle of a huge challenge, a really momentous time in her life. Whilst I don't run, I do regular exercise, and so I decided that whatever I did to try and raise money had to be something that could be my own massive challenge.

Running a 10k wasn't going to cut it as I've managed to finish one before (the furthest run is shown in the picture, and I'm having such a great time!), and after a bit of tinkering "Phil vs Nature" was dreamed up. I wanted hard, and here is what I've signed up to do.

For the next 12 months for the benefit of Anthony Nolan, on behalf of Kate and her champion spirit, I'll be taking on a number of off-road and obstacle races of varying distances - but all of greater length than I've completed before. 

First up is The Mighty Deerstalker. Billed as one of the UK's toughest off-road events, it's in March in the Scottish borders and it's going to be flippin' cold. See what one national newspaper has to say about it here.

The full event list is on the JustGiving page, and I'll go into more detail on each in later posts. My year of fundraising culminates with the Ultra Tour of Edinburgh, a 55 km mixed terrain course with 3000 feet of ascent and descent.

I'd love for anyone reading this to join me on one or some events. All of those (Fit3Sixty people that's you!) who are willing or able to help raise some more money for the page by sharing, training, and entering - pick an event and let me know!

Instagram: philvsnature
Twitter: @PhilJ0606

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step into Christmas!

"Welcome to my Christmas post! I'd like to thank you for being here" For this very special festive update I'm handing over the space to Kate. Her journey is so inspiring, and she can say this all so much more meaningfully than I can. If any readers are looking for an adventure in the new year, consider "stepping into Christmas with me"; pull on the warm clothes, put one foot in front of the other, and join the fundraising effort. It's been a great response to date, and several people have signed up to some of the bigger events in August and October 2018! Happy Christmas everyone, and thanks for all the kind words and encouragement so far. Get the box of tissues ready, the next 10 minutes will be emotional... ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It’s here, Christmas 2017!!!! Is it time to crack open the bubbly yet!? (None for you Phil, your body is a temple!) I made it! There were times over the

Ultra Tour of Edinb-AAAARGH

Modern Edinburgh is said to have been built on 7 hills. Having run around it, I think the original town planners must have run out of counting fingers at their final construction meeting. "Let's just call it 7." The first upward slope I encountered was when I arrived at the very bottom of the Royal Mile about 6.30 am, and began the slow walk up to the start line with my wife. We were overtaken by a power-walking Lycra clad lady, and then immediately after that by a slightly older man as he ran up the pavement ahead of us. Both had race numbers on, and both looked rather more sprightly than I did. We arrived at the start line in good time, which gave me plenty of opportunity to size up the opposition. First question on my mind was: why is everyone in t-shirts? [Also, why do they say 55 km when the route is actually 57? False advertising!] Second question: which footwear do I need? Third and final: who is going to be at the back with

And folks, that's a wrap

Last week I had the privilege to be invited to the Anthony Nolan Supporters' Awards. It was emotionally charged; a night chock full of remembrance, celebration and pride. We heard about the volunteers that keep the organisation ticking. We heard all about the scientists behind some of the advancements in Anthony Nolan's care. We heard from survivors, celebrities, and about some extr aordinary people doing extraordinarily selfless things. Anthony Nolan Latest News One of the stories we heard was from a parent of a child that had been saved by an Anthony Nolan donor. She spoke bravely about the fight they'd had, the moment her son was diagnosed, and the relief she felt when they found a donor. The young man who had joined the register and saved a life was in the room at the ceremony, beaming from ear to ear. The applause was deafening, and tears ran freely down the faces of many of the onlookers. The story was Rupert's, and y ou can check it out h