Skip to main content

The Biggest Jump EVER

Distance. Height. My own sheer fright.
They're just some of the big jumps waiting for me tomorrow.

And so we move on to event number two, that's actually now the actual event number one, but still unofficially "event number two" anyway after my rubbish attempt at a trail run in April.

It is absolutely guaranteed to be wet and muddy, difficult enough, and oh so bloody long. Bloody, bloody, bloody long.

Check out the Rat Race course build video below!

Let's get it out there one more time - I'm not sure I've said it before, and if I have then you clearly haven't heard me - but

I AM NOT VERY GOOD AT RUNNING.

For sure, I have been training, but mostly in the gym because it's more fun, and sprinkling the odd 2 or 3 km run in there every now and again. They happen when I'm made to feel just guilty enough.

Now 5 or 6 months down the line for this fundraiser, and I am still a food loving, cardio hating, height despising, absolute KING of running procrastination, and the worst bit about it is that there is literally nothing I can think of to excuse myself from it now.

And no freak snowstorm to save me either.

Remember when I showed off in the last blog post after my 5 mile trail? Well this one will be the next longest off roader, and it is TWENTY MILES.

That's a hell of a jump, right?

It's the kind of distance that man invented cars for. And bikes. And trains.

And speaking of jumps, look at the height of that bloody thing - 7 metres!

The kind of distance I am able to comfortably run in fact.

Wish me luck!
Video still courtesy of Rat Race Events*
Instagram: philvsnature
Twitter: @PhilJ0606

*Rat Race - The Biggest Jump We've Ever Built video is available to watch on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step into Christmas!

"Welcome to my Christmas post! I'd like to thank you for being here" For this very special festive update I'm handing over the space to Kate. Her journey is so inspiring, and she can say this all so much more meaningfully than I can. If any readers are looking for an adventure in the new year, consider "stepping into Christmas with me"; pull on the warm clothes, put one foot in front of the other, and join the fundraising effort. It's been a great response to date, and several people have signed up to some of the bigger events in August and October 2018! Happy Christmas everyone, and thanks for all the kind words and encouragement so far. Get the box of tissues ready, the next 10 minutes will be emotional... ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It’s here, Christmas 2017!!!! Is it time to crack open the bubbly yet!? (None for you Phil, your body is a temple!) I made it! There were times over the

Ultra Tour of Edinb-AAAARGH

Modern Edinburgh is said to have been built on 7 hills. Having run around it, I think the original town planners must have run out of counting fingers at their final construction meeting. "Let's just call it 7." The first upward slope I encountered was when I arrived at the very bottom of the Royal Mile about 6.30 am, and began the slow walk up to the start line with my wife. We were overtaken by a power-walking Lycra clad lady, and then immediately after that by a slightly older man as he ran up the pavement ahead of us. Both had race numbers on, and both looked rather more sprightly than I did. We arrived at the start line in good time, which gave me plenty of opportunity to size up the opposition. First question on my mind was: why is everyone in t-shirts? [Also, why do they say 55 km when the route is actually 57? False advertising!] Second question: which footwear do I need? Third and final: who is going to be at the back with

And folks, that's a wrap

Last week I had the privilege to be invited to the Anthony Nolan Supporters' Awards. It was emotionally charged; a night chock full of remembrance, celebration and pride. We heard about the volunteers that keep the organisation ticking. We heard all about the scientists behind some of the advancements in Anthony Nolan's care. We heard from survivors, celebrities, and about some extr aordinary people doing extraordinarily selfless things. Anthony Nolan Latest News One of the stories we heard was from a parent of a child that had been saved by an Anthony Nolan donor. She spoke bravely about the fight they'd had, the moment her son was diagnosed, and the relief she felt when they found a donor. The young man who had joined the register and saved a life was in the room at the ceremony, beaming from ear to ear. The applause was deafening, and tears ran freely down the faces of many of the onlookers. The story was Rupert's, and y ou can check it out h