Skip to main content

A very Dirty Weekend

"Phil, you've turned off 2 alarms, GET UP"

And just like that, the King of running procrastination was able to procrastinate no more. The first event of my fundraising year for Anthony Nolan. Here, so soon!

Except for the small matter of a 3 hour journey first.

Up and away we went, my wife and I, packed into the car and I settled in for a nap in the passenger seat... oh wait, no, that wasn't me!

A few hours later and we pulled up into a very busy car park, and laid eyes upon the biggest event village I've ever seen for an obstacle race.

Veterans of the game were everywhere.

And just then the winner arrived back at the top of the mega-slide. A tip of the hat to you Sir - incredible finishing it in around 3 hours!

Wave 14 was up and it was beautifully warm and sunny as we got underway with a fire breather signalling the start. It was very clear this wasn't going to be an ordinary race!

Ah the hay bales. The classic Rat Race starter but supercharged. A nice first obstacle to warm up with, and I was into my stride.

I was flying! Or so I thought.

Fast track time to what felt like forever and I'd run through the woods dodging nettles and carrying heavy stuff, demolished the rest of the field going back to my best life in the sack race, and the sky had clouded over. I could have been forgiven for looking defeated at mile 3. Only 17 to go!

Burghley House was a beautiful setting, and we certainly took it all in over the 20 miles. We got out into the stunning countryside, and although we'd been a bit wet, here was the first real soaking in the Water Wipeout Zone, the dreaded water jump.


I literally wasn't doing it.

But I followed the crowd and I climbed up. There were yells and screams as people jumped, and several times racers couldn't do it and climbed back down to the bottom. At halfway I paused and looked over the edge - "this doesn't look so bad" I remarked to one of the guys in front, trying desperately to look calm like an adrenaline loving badass.

How foolish!

It was so high.

Until my feet left the platform, they were stuck fast. "3...2...1.... JUMP!" went the command, and somehow I was compelled to just leap forwards as far as I dared.

Honestly... love and hate is very difficult to feel at the same time, but I can now say I've experienced it. Absolute sheer panic during the fall to the exhilaration on landing and resurfacing - magical!

Then I spent the next hour cramping up and swimming through a reservoir, which was utterly perfect.

Getting calf cramp on the monkey bars was a new low. I wasn't even half way round.

There was a solid bit of running thrown in after this, and the clouds didn't help one bit. The chill was taking me whenever we came across another obstacle, and the mud was wet and cold!

However, I pressed on. To take you on a whirlwind tour of the course; I covered underground tunnels, raved in a taxi, climbed an enormous tyre wall, and scaled mud heaps larger than a house.

I'd slipped and slid, crawled, run, jumped, climbed and swam, shot a paintball at Trump, and beat the Travelator... and standing at the top, finally the end was in sight!

The Big One, the final slide in to the finish line, was a heck of a climb up a cargo netting and wooden structure. There was just enough time to behold the crowds below, raise my weary arms aloft, and plunge down the track into the muddy water.

I'd finished it!

20 miles later, and I was in the beer tent, relieved, buzzing, and knackered. 

My first significant distance and 200 obstacles complete, but the fundraising journey only just beginning.

Along the way round at various difficult points I thought about what I was doing it for, and I bumped into another person doing it for the same charity, for similar reasons. It's a really powerful motivator, and I hope I'm going to have done them justice when I finish the race calendar.

A word to the Rat Race marshals - you were all incredibly helpful, and the kind words I experienced on the way round also helped me keep going.

I must admit though "Double Mucker coming through!" is a bit of a kicker. Being lapped by someone who's already done 20 miles once is bollocks!

The two lads, Ryan and Paul, who I started and finished with - thanks for your help too, our teamwork over the obstacles was blinding, and chatting certainly helped break up the monotony of some of the longer periods of running.

My wife - you're a beaut. You didn't have to come, or follow me round all day, take photos, or surprise me with a Fudge bar and a drink at the side of the course, but you did. I'm very appreciative, thank you. Check out the Instagram for some of her handiwork!

Kate - first one done, many more to come, let's smash the fundraising target.

Thank you to everyone who has donated.


Instagram: philvsnature
Twitter: @PhilJ0606

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step into Christmas!

"Welcome to my Christmas post! I'd like to thank you for being here" For this very special festive update I'm handing over the space to Kate. Her journey is so inspiring, and she can say this all so much more meaningfully than I can. If any readers are looking for an adventure in the new year, consider "stepping into Christmas with me"; pull on the warm clothes, put one foot in front of the other, and join the fundraising effort. It's been a great response to date, and several people have signed up to some of the bigger events in August and October 2018! Happy Christmas everyone, and thanks for all the kind words and encouragement so far. Get the box of tissues ready, the next 10 minutes will be emotional... ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It’s here, Christmas 2017!!!! Is it time to crack open the bubbly yet!? (None for you Phil, your body is a temple!) I made it! There were times over the

Ultra Tour of Edinb-AAAARGH

Modern Edinburgh is said to have been built on 7 hills. Having run around it, I think the original town planners must have run out of counting fingers at their final construction meeting. "Let's just call it 7." The first upward slope I encountered was when I arrived at the very bottom of the Royal Mile about 6.30 am, and began the slow walk up to the start line with my wife. We were overtaken by a power-walking Lycra clad lady, and then immediately after that by a slightly older man as he ran up the pavement ahead of us. Both had race numbers on, and both looked rather more sprightly than I did. We arrived at the start line in good time, which gave me plenty of opportunity to size up the opposition. First question on my mind was: why is everyone in t-shirts? [Also, why do they say 55 km when the route is actually 57? False advertising!] Second question: which footwear do I need? Third and final: who is going to be at the back with

And folks, that's a wrap

Last week I had the privilege to be invited to the Anthony Nolan Supporters' Awards. It was emotionally charged; a night chock full of remembrance, celebration and pride. We heard about the volunteers that keep the organisation ticking. We heard all about the scientists behind some of the advancements in Anthony Nolan's care. We heard from survivors, celebrities, and about some extr aordinary people doing extraordinarily selfless things. Anthony Nolan Latest News One of the stories we heard was from a parent of a child that had been saved by an Anthony Nolan donor. She spoke bravely about the fight they'd had, the moment her son was diagnosed, and the relief she felt when they found a donor. The young man who had joined the register and saved a life was in the room at the ceremony, beaming from ear to ear. The applause was deafening, and tears ran freely down the faces of many of the onlookers. The story was Rupert's, and y ou can check it out h