Skip to main content

Step into Christmas!

"Welcome to my Christmas post!
I'd like to thank you for being here"

For this very special festive update I'm handing over the space to Kate. Her journey is so inspiring, and she can say this all so much more meaningfully than I can.

If any readers are looking for an adventure in the new year, consider "stepping into Christmas with me"; pull on the warm clothes, put one foot in front of the other, and join the fundraising effort. It's been a great response to date, and several people have signed up to some of the bigger events in August and October 2018!

Happy Christmas everyone, and thanks for all the kind words and encouragement so far. Get the box of tissues ready, the next 10 minutes will be emotional...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s here, Christmas 2017!!!! Is it time to crack open the bubbly yet!? (None for you Phil, your body is a temple!)

I made it! There were times over the past few months I never thought I would see this festive season. I only had a few days left to live when I was diagnosed with leukaemia back in September 2016; the wonderful staff at the hospital saved my life and have continued to do so ever since.


It's fair to say I have been through hell over the past two years. The amount of treatment I have endured has been almost unbearable at times. Four rounds of intensive chemotherapy, eight weeks of arsenic (yes, arsenic) being pumped into my bloodstream, seventeen lumbar punctures and spinal chemotherapy, cranial radiotherapy, total body irradiation... and then to top it all off, an autologous stem cell transplant! Not to mention the numerous infections, viruses, operations, scans, x-rays, MRIs... It's fair to say, I don't do things by halves. I am struggling to recover both physically and mentally post transplant, but I have made it to the crucial 100 days milestone - which gives me hope. I have found cancer to be a terrifying and very lonely experience, which is why it is so wonderful when friends rally round you and help in any way they can.
That brings me onto the amazing Phil, who is taking on 12 months of challenges - and when I say challenges I mean it!! I sometimes wonder if he realises what he is letting himself in for! Phil is one of those lovely friends who has decided to fundraise on my behalf all in aid of the wonderful Anthony Nolan Trust. I was on the bone marrow donor registry with Anthony Nolan for 12 years before diagnosis, though no one would want mine now!! And when I was told I needed a stem cell transplant, Anthony Nolan were contacted and searched for a donor match for me, but thankfully I was eventually able to use my own stem cells and have an Auto transplant in the end. I had massive concerns and was so worried about the whole process, but I called the AN Trust and spoke to a lovely lady who answered my questions and reassured me. They are such a worthy charity, helping to save peoples lives on a daily basis.

Cancer is scary enough in itself, especially when you relapse and have to deal with it coming back for a second bite of the cherry. However, the side effects from the treatment are just as worrying, I am having to write this using dictation as I have developed arthritis following the transplant. There are also many other issues I will have to deal with in the future with regards to my health. You are never the same after cancer, it affects the way you see life. Your body has been pushed to its absolute limit and you feel like you have been chewed up and spat out the other end. But I am desperately trying not to dwell on what I don’t have and focus on what I do have, and that is life! Doesn’t get much simpler than that!! I am here, surrounded by amazing friends who have gone above and beyond the call of duty. I am a lucky girl. So "Cheers!"; raise a glass to life, happiness and friends, and enjoying life in the moment.

And Phil, I am so grateful to you for taking on these challenges and humbled that you chose to help me out. I am 100% behind you, and also massively relieved that I have a viable excuse not to join in the challenges with you, but to just watch from the sidelines!!

Merry Christmas!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instagram: philvsnature
Twitter: @PhilJ0606

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end at Lands End

It was nearing 18.00 when I finally saw "the end". The relief washed over me, and I punched the air with excitement! Before I got there though, a whole other range of emotions and feelings had been milling around. Gathered under the inflatable starting archway, I was nervous, but ran a final check over my bag, put on my sunglasses, and we were off. About 10 seconds later, I was in the sea for the first time. Now this was early on in the day - I was a 09.10 start - and it was bright and clear, but a little chilly in the water. Gasps and whoops as the mass start piled in for a deep wade and a short swim out to an inflatable log, we mostly avoided each other's flailing arms and legs to make it out again safely, and run down the beach. By this point we were a couple of miles in, and we reached another water based activity. And luckily the activity was a couple of miles out to sea. Or so it seemed by the time we'd swum out there. It can't have been mor

And folks, that's a wrap

Last week I had the privilege to be invited to the Anthony Nolan Supporters' Awards. It was emotionally charged; a night chock full of remembrance, celebration and pride. We heard about the volunteers that keep the organisation ticking. We heard all about the scientists behind some of the advancements in Anthony Nolan's care. We heard from survivors, celebrities, and about some extr aordinary people doing extraordinarily selfless things. Anthony Nolan Latest News One of the stories we heard was from a parent of a child that had been saved by an Anthony Nolan donor. She spoke bravely about the fight they'd had, the moment her son was diagnosed, and the relief she felt when they found a donor. The young man who had joined the register and saved a life was in the room at the ceremony, beaming from ear to ear. The applause was deafening, and tears ran freely down the faces of many of the onlookers. The story was Rupert's, and y ou can check it out h