Skip to main content

1st Re-Birthday


For those new to reading this and anyone else who isn't aware, Kate is the superstar and the inspiration behind this series of testing events I've completed in aid of Anthony Nolan.

Back in December, Kate wrote a really poignant blog post introducing us into her world since diagnosis, how she coped with her diagnosis, and the treatment she'd had - if you'd like to catch up then you can find it here.

Since then she's been busy; you may have seen her on TV, the radio, in national newspapers, on magazine front covers, and guest speaking at conferences. There was also a top 10 most viewed spot on the BBC news homepage, and through all the attention she's been going about telling a really difficult story all with dignity and good humour that everyone who knows her would expect, and that everyone who doesn't would be amazed at.

The Spot Leukaemia campaign from Leukaemia Care has pushed her experience into the public eye, and there's been quite a lot from me in the last 10 months, so once again, in a really fitting way to sign off Blood Cancer Awareness Month, it's over to you, Kate...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well he’s only gone and done it again….!! Phil has completed Man Vs Mountain this weekend [edit:  and in doing so is raising money for Anthony Nolan Trust on my behalf and for others like me.

Phil is an absolute machine and although I think he may have a screw loose, he is completing all this crazy insane challenges to raise awareness of blood cancer because he wanted to help me when I was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia. I am humbled by the amount of effort and physical exertion he puts into these challenges, let alone the time! Spending many weekends away travelling the country to take part and staying in tents in the rain, which deserves a medal in itself!

Being told you have an acute leukaemia is utterly terrifying, from the moment you are diagnosed you are desperately trying to survive. Before you know it you are being pumped full of chemotherapy, antibiotics, blood and all manor of drugs. Kept in isolation in hospital, your old life stops immediately, never to be returned to and you are locked in this spiral of hellish treatment. There were numerous times when I thought I wouldn’t make it, and I almost didn’t.

My cancer treatment has been long, complicated and punctuated with setbacks and trauma. When the cancer returned during my third round of chemo I feared I would never reach remission.

When Phil reaches his breaking point on these crazy challenges, he tells me he thinks of me and all I have been through and it gives him to push to keep going. Knowing that someone wants to help and see you succeed gives me the push to keep going. Thank you Phil.

In supporting Anthony Nolan Trust you are helping to save lives and support those like me who are managing to survive treatment and adjust to their lives post cancer, our ‘new normal’.

This month marks Blood Cancer Awareness Month, it is poignant for me as it marks 2 years since diagnosis and I also celebrate my 1st Re-Birthday following my stem cell transplant last year. So a highly emotional one!!

I cry at the drop of a hat, even adverts get me going, so I am sure I will spend this month with a tear in my eye or rolling down my cheek. I’m lying on the sofa feeling bit poorly this morning, but I’m still here! And that to me is so utterly amazing! I’m absolutely knackered but determined to make the most of the rest of my life, however long that be. It is so precious.

Cancer and illness took my parents and it almost took me too. I'm not going to lie, I’ve shed a bucket load of tears today, reflecting on what I’ve been through and how my life has changed in every way some good, some bad. Cancer is an absolute bitch. I’ll be flipping it the bird today and celebrating life, and having two birthdays Queen stylee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instagram: philvsnature
Twitter: @PhilJ0606

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step into Christmas!

"Welcome to my Christmas post! I'd like to thank you for being here" For this very special festive update I'm handing over the space to Kate. Her journey is so inspiring, and she can say this all so much more meaningfully than I can. If any readers are looking for an adventure in the new year, consider "stepping into Christmas with me"; pull on the warm clothes, put one foot in front of the other, and join the fundraising effort. It's been a great response to date, and several people have signed up to some of the bigger events in August and October 2018! Happy Christmas everyone, and thanks for all the kind words and encouragement so far. Get the box of tissues ready, the next 10 minutes will be emotional... ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It’s here, Christmas 2017!!!! Is it time to crack open the bubbly yet!? (None for you Phil, your body is a temple!) I made it! There were times over the

Coast to Coast Boulder Dash

Long event, longer blog. Grab a cup of tea or sit on the toilet, and settle in... This past weekend, Rat Race re-wrote the rules of the world.  Newton's famous "what goes up, must come down" was well and truly flipped on its head,  Jim Mee (the company founder) was seen at the finish line manning the pressure washers and cleaning up rubbish, and even if you haven't stopped pedalling you definitely can fall off your bicycle. The Crossing is an off-road mountain bike event that takes place across three National Parks, three days, and runs from the West coast to the East coast. It was an event I hadn't entered, not owning a mountain bike, until this man below decided he would like to take part in this challenge but didn't want to run. After he'd paid up I felt guilty enough to join him, and 3 months later I finally purchased my own place. So, James, categorically, this was all your fault. Oh he might look happy here, but thi

And folks, that's a wrap

Last week I had the privilege to be invited to the Anthony Nolan Supporters' Awards. It was emotionally charged; a night chock full of remembrance, celebration and pride. We heard about the volunteers that keep the organisation ticking. We heard all about the scientists behind some of the advancements in Anthony Nolan's care. We heard from survivors, celebrities, and about some extr aordinary people doing extraordinarily selfless things. Anthony Nolan Latest News One of the stories we heard was from a parent of a child that had been saved by an Anthony Nolan donor. She spoke bravely about the fight they'd had, the moment her son was diagnosed, and the relief she felt when they found a donor. The young man who had joined the register and saved a life was in the room at the ceremony, beaming from ear to ear. The applause was deafening, and tears ran freely down the faces of many of the onlookers. The story was Rupert's, and y ou can check it out h