Skip to main content

The Trilogy Delivers


Mountains, clifftops and hills.

Into the sea, dunked in the lakes, and jumping into quarries.

Climbing, coasteering and abseiling.

Across moors, through storm drains, and sneaking through abandoned mines.

Over quicksand, dusty trails and barren rocks, taking in the sights of Cornwall, the Lakes and Snowdonia, it's finally done.

The challenges that were the initial inspiration for a Phil vs Nature hashtag have delivered.

And what a delivery! A boatload of firsts and new experiences. A range of emotions from pride to despair at every event. An overriding sense of duty and determination to deliver the goods for Kate and Anthony Nolan.

Rat Race described Man vs Mountain as one of their bucket list events, and it was truly an epic.

Right from the off, driving in through the mountains I was stuck by how... mountainous... the terrain was. I mean bloody hell.

I don't think I've ever been up to that corner of North Wales before, so I spent some time trying to work out exactly which big bugger was Snowdon, but in the end I decided it didn't matter - I was here, I was in, and I was going to do it.

Off the back of a McDonald's the night before - mate I was in the mountains, nothing was open - I rocked up to the start line, and "it was absolutely stunnin'" (maybe say that in your Welsh accent?). Check out the IG page for a shot of the castle (thanks Charlotte!).

Almost before I knew it I was at pitstop one. There were a few challenges but I felt fit, I felt good, and I'd run the first 10 miles in a decent time. I told all my fans.. well my number one fan... ah ok, my only fan... that I was going to be done soon.

"It's going to get harder. The mountain is next, you'll probably be ages."

Tidy. I was going to show her!
[Edit: she was an actual legend all weekend, helping me with drinks, food, clothes, and cheering me over the finish line. My actual number one fan!]

The reality of the situation before me dawned over the crest of a slightly smaller mountain, when we finally saw Snowdon in all its glory, but actually could only see the bottom half because of all the cloud and rain swirling around the top.

Sure enough, halfway up the jacket was on, the hood was tight, and I was both sweating and freezing at exactly the same time. There is a reason that Rat Race ask you to carry mandatory kit, and the moaners and nay-sayers present at registration the day before must have been glad of the layers. I certainly was!

Despite the weather, the summit was rammed. It was slippery going on the wet rocks, and tough to build up any momentum.

On the way back down I saw the train. To summarise: 
Superb idea, wish I'd known about it, thought about it and nearly did but actually didn't.

I got caught on camera once out of the worst of the weather, and looked really pleased to have done so. The mountain was tough, but it was also done.

No more hills, right?

Aha, this is Rat Race; remember, if you go down, you always go up again.

A little further on after the second pitstop with around 5 or 6 miles to go, the wind carried the event village tannoy so all the runners could clearly hear everything that was being said.

Round the corner and into the slate quarry, and we came across the start of the vertical kilometre. The combination of finisher announcements and a massive rocky hike - the cruelty!

As I got to the bottom of the uphill, a fella that had already finished called out to me with a sing-song Welsh lilt "nearly there, but I'm not going to lie mate, the next bit is seriously hard".

Wicked, thanks pal, you enjoy your beer and medal, warm and dry clothes, your burger, and your sit down.

I think he was trying to help.

The views from the top were incredible. The route to the top, slightly less so. It was a ball ache. A proper lung busting, feet shredding leg burner.

When I eventually made it to the other side, of the quarry and had wound my way down the rocks, the water activities started.

A reservoir jump was first up. It was high, but not RR Dirty Weekend 7 metre leap of faith high. I knew I could just do it - after all, it's the fourth or fifth one this year - but I didn't like it. Enjoy my face.

Out of the water.

And into the water.

A swim, another dunking, and out over the rocks again, with a final slope up to the abseiling wall.

And into the water.

There was a slide which was raised and curved upwards. I climbed up the scaffolding and once at the top it was high, but actually quite fun!

A waterfall cascaded and helped propel you downwards, threw you into the air, and it then ended with a slightly helpless plunge into the reservoir.

Once again it was swim, out of the water, and then in again for the final time. The smallest body of water was the actual coldest, freezing, but it was quick and I finally had a run in to finish.

22 miles over a mountain, and down again.

After a casual 32 miles across Cumbria.

Just after 26 miles across Cornwall.

A cumulative ascent of 14,300 feet.

What else has The Trilogy delivered?

Aside from...
Unholy chafing
Black toe nails
and sore nipples...

There's just over £1,500 in the pot for Anthony Nolan.

Thank you, all you beautiful people.


Instagram: philvsnature
Twitter: @PhilJ0606

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step into Christmas!

"Welcome to my Christmas post! I'd like to thank you for being here" For this very special festive update I'm handing over the space to Kate. Her journey is so inspiring, and she can say this all so much more meaningfully than I can. If any readers are looking for an adventure in the new year, consider "stepping into Christmas with me"; pull on the warm clothes, put one foot in front of the other, and join the fundraising effort. It's been a great response to date, and several people have signed up to some of the bigger events in August and October 2018! Happy Christmas everyone, and thanks for all the kind words and encouragement so far. Get the box of tissues ready, the next 10 minutes will be emotional... ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It’s here, Christmas 2017!!!! Is it time to crack open the bubbly yet!? (None for you Phil, your body is a temple!) I made it! There were times over the

Coast to Coast Boulder Dash

Long event, longer blog. Grab a cup of tea or sit on the toilet, and settle in... This past weekend, Rat Race re-wrote the rules of the world.  Newton's famous "what goes up, must come down" was well and truly flipped on its head,  Jim Mee (the company founder) was seen at the finish line manning the pressure washers and cleaning up rubbish, and even if you haven't stopped pedalling you definitely can fall off your bicycle. The Crossing is an off-road mountain bike event that takes place across three National Parks, three days, and runs from the West coast to the East coast. It was an event I hadn't entered, not owning a mountain bike, until this man below decided he would like to take part in this challenge but didn't want to run. After he'd paid up I felt guilty enough to join him, and 3 months later I finally purchased my own place. So, James, categorically, this was all your fault. Oh he might look happy here, but thi

And folks, that's a wrap

Last week I had the privilege to be invited to the Anthony Nolan Supporters' Awards. It was emotionally charged; a night chock full of remembrance, celebration and pride. We heard about the volunteers that keep the organisation ticking. We heard all about the scientists behind some of the advancements in Anthony Nolan's care. We heard from survivors, celebrities, and about some extr aordinary people doing extraordinarily selfless things. Anthony Nolan Latest News One of the stories we heard was from a parent of a child that had been saved by an Anthony Nolan donor. She spoke bravely about the fight they'd had, the moment her son was diagnosed, and the relief she felt when they found a donor. The young man who had joined the register and saved a life was in the room at the ceremony, beaming from ear to ear. The applause was deafening, and tears ran freely down the faces of many of the onlookers. The story was Rupert's, and y ou can check it out h